View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 19, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Coste
Hmmm. Two outs, home team down by one, the only chance to win is to score two (or score one and go into extra innings). Runners are all off with the crack of the bat. If you were watching the play at first, who was watching the runners touch the plate and third base, respectively?

My opinion, you should have had nothing to contribute to him. His call, let him make it. You should have been busy doing your own job. If you weren't, you messed up.
I don't know that I agree. The chance of a runner missing home plate when there is no play on him is virtually incalcuable, whereas, a play at first where you're partner may need help on a tag, pulled foot or basepath violation is, relatively speaking, likely. Also chances are very good that the runners touched their respective bases prior to the throw reaching 1st base anyway and the PU could have accomplished both tasks.
If r2 had cleared F5 and then BEAREF looked to first, I think he did good.
I certainly would not be making clear cut statements like 'you messed up'

Besides, he did let him make the call. He didn't offer anything until asked and then only told him what he saw, BU was clearly in err here, not the PU.