View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 19, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictArnold
Boys in blue welcomed back
June 16,2006

“Just their presence,” Kinston manager Mike Sarbaugh said when asked the biggest difference between the replacements and the pros. “You see more confidence, just a feel for the game with positioning on plays — just overall approach. Even the first day back, you noticed a difference.”

“We’ve even said in the dugout (after a close play), ‘He was on top of that call,’ ” Head said, referring to the pros. “Whether or not he missed it, you could tell he had his own point of view; he wasn’t guessing.”
The AMLU member who authored this piece is really reaching.
In other words- All College umps are guessing on their calls. And are mindless robots with no point of view.
But suddenly, if you go to pro school you are given a 'point of view'

The first time one of the pros boots a call in favor of Head's opponent, I want to hear his quote. "It's Ok, I don't mind the pro booting the call, it's his point of view that matters"

Quote:
Still, amazingly, not one person go the the thumb.

“Maybe they knew that they screwed up and they didn’t want to make things worse,” Santana reasoned that night, surprised they didn’t at least run him.

Looking back, Sarbaugh said the pro umps wouldn’t have tolerated the display for long.

“There would’ve been probably at least two guys gone by then,” Sarbaugh said Thursday. “I just think (the replacements didn’t know), at times, how professional situations are handled.”

Amazing, the first time I've heard a rat complain he didn't get tossed.
Had there been ejections, this AMLU author would have found a quote by someone saying had the pros been here they would have found a way to diffuse the situation without tossing anyone.

Quote:
Even the pros make mistakes, but there’s way more to umpiring than balls, strikes, safes and outs. In the minor leagues, being a quality umpire is as much about knowing the nuances of the professional game as it is being able to make a fast, informed decision from the proper angle..
Earlier the author was implying the replacements were guessing and had no point of view. Now he's implying they made fast, informed decisions, but just didn't have a handle on the nuances of the game. I'm confused.

No matter how you look at it, this AMLU author has total disdain for the amatuer umpire.