View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I refer to Evans as "Reverend Jimmy" simply because all you MLB umpires' jock sniffers worship him like a God. I have nothing against him at all. In fact, I quote his interpretations often. Probably never met the man because I live in a NL town, and he was an AL umpire. I have met and spoken with many NL umpires, but alas, no AL umpires. Jim Evans was not one of my favorite AL umpires either, but his dedication to the rules, their history and application, is unquestionable.

BTW, where can I obtain a Jim Evans book on the rules? I have searched high and low, and cannot locate a copy.

Garth, is there some reason you continue to reference my past remarks? That kind of thing would get a coach run in a baseball game, but since I said it, you think it's fair game? I wasn't "so fond" of saying I could have been a pro umpire. I said it a grand total of one time, to which you proceeded to laugh me off the board. We all could have been ML umpires if the circumstances had been different, don't you think? I think most good umpires at one time or other have felt the same way. I just made the mistake of voicing my thoughts. I never thought I could be a soldier, but after boot camp and AIT, I became a good one. A little training and experience go a long way in life, and baseball is no different.
What makes one a Major League Umpire jock sniffer, Steve? According to you, you have "met and spoken" with a number of major league umpires. Probably far more than me. You refer to the MLB umpires from your region more than anyone else I've seen post. You drop more names of pros you've worked with than anbody on the internet.

Does that fact that I attended an eight day Evans Classic make me a MLB jock sniffer? Maybe because we became friends and stayed in contact does it, huh? Could it be because I have the JEA? What is it, Steve?

If you really mean to attack the jock sniffer, Steve, then why do you aim your barbs at Jim? That makes no sense. You say you have nothing against him, but you insult him constantly. If you really mean to aim your insults at the "jock sniffers", then here, take a shot at me. Free. Go ahead. You seem to need to, have at it. After all, I respect Jim, admire Jim and count him as a friend. Let me have it. I must be freaking jock sniffer.

Oh, and as for your comment: "I never thought I could be a soldier, but after boot camp and AIT, I became a good one. A little training and experience go a long way in life, and baseball is no different." Carried to it's natural conclusion, then if you went to music school, you could have been a top concert pianist. If you went to art school, you could have become a great sculptor. What nonsense. It takes more than training and education. It takes skill and ability refined to a very high degree. The same thing applies to umpiring. Very few of those who attend pro school and receive training make it to the Majors. But you insist you'd be one, because, what the hell, "baseball is no different." It is to laugh. You are to an MLB umpire what a bar room piano player is to Van Cliburn. But don't feel bad. We all are. It's just that most of us know it, admit and can live without denying it.