View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thank you for the rule listings and consults. As it is, both calls were against my team, both called out.

The batter hit by the ball was about 6 feet from 1st base, so second baseman was no where around, next player to have a chance at the ball was the Right fielder. When I questioned this to the umpire, which I do understand these are teenage kids and this is 9 year old baseball, I was told that the batter is out no matter what if hit by the ball.

In the second issue, the rule book states that the ball is dead unless hit or bunted, then list an exception that the pitcher may pickoff a base runner throwing from the stretch position. The pitcher had gotten the ball back , but never returned to the rubber. Even though I had the rule book in hand and read the rule to both opposing team coaches and both umpires, they basically said the call was made move on.

On the positive side we did win the game, but we had runners in scoring postion in both situations and cost us runs.

I was frustrated and appreciate that the way I interpret the rules seems to be apporpriate.

Thanks!