View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
I don't know, I'm asking Garth.

Personally, I believe the 2004 comment on its own must be out of context with respect to the point Evans may have been making. While there is no specific or explicit reference to "delayed dead ball" in the rules, there most certainly is a "delayed dead" principle, it is applied in several situations, and Jim Evans damn sure knows it.
Why the huff?

In person, Jim teaches that there is no such animal as a delayed dead ball. It is either live or dead. His favorite example is batter's interference with the catcher's throw on a stealing R1. The ball remains live on the interference; then if the offense does not retire the runner, time is called, the ball is dead and enforcement follows. If the runner is retired, the interference is ignored, the ball remains live. Thus no need for a "delayed" dead ball.

His 2004 comment was repeated, to my personal knowledge, again in 2006 and probably many other times. I did not take it out of context.

I will ask him how he reconciles his teaching with his writings, but I will accept what he has instructed. I see no problem with it.

Last edited by GarthB; Sat Jun 17, 2006 at 04:53pm.