View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
We had a small faction of our locals that decided they were going to go with the 'hand-on-the-back' for a while last year. Majority of them worked the box, a few were heel-toe'ers.
Their balance was thrown off by this new 'lean' intoo the catcher, and at least half of them decided to stop doing it over concerns that at times-especially when clearing the catcher- they were 'pushing off'.
In addition to that, we heard word from some of the catchers that the umpires were setting up, putting their hands there, and staying put, even when the catcher moved or shifted- the catcher's were asking the rest of us "what's the point? it's not about distance, cause they don't move!"
Anyway, I think only one guy still does it, and he only sets up with it, then removes his hand- it sort of hovers there, but doesn't touch the catcher.
I wouldn't do it- I prefer a wide slot, and I'm sure at times would need an extended arm to even reach him!

Bainer.