Thread: obstruction
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
If the ball was in flight from center field to the third baseman at the time of the obstruction you had a type A obstruction. If so, the play is killed and the runner is awarded home. If, however there was no play being made on the runner at the time of the obstruction, you had a type B obstruction and the ball is delayed dead, at which point you need to determine if the runner would have scored absent the obstruction. I'm not sure, but it sounds like you had a type B obstruction call here. This is a ply from the J/R that illustrates what I'm talking about.

R1, hit and run. The batter hits a line drive base hit at the left fielder. Rounding second, R1 must alter his stride to avoid the shortstop, and he stumbles; obstruction. The left fielder throws behind R1, who is now returning to second, and he is about to be tagged: the return of R1 is protected. Indeed, the umpire must determine if he chose to return, or if the obstruction caused him to return when acquiring third was his intention, and was reasonably possible.

Tim.
thank you very much. i had type B.