Thread: One more Time
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Subject Matter and Author causes interest

Pete:

I'm certainly no authority on human motivation, but I've observed several trends during my 1-1/2 years of internet umpire type board activity.

It seems like there are cycles that the boards go through, as well as interest generated by certain posters. Since I spend only about an hour a day on the boards, I select from this one, McGriffs, and eteamz always, and several others only when time permits.

Now, you might ask, what causes me to get involved and respond, as I am now? 1) Subject Matter. (no interest=no response) 2) Author. (if the poster has caught my attention in the past, I'll dwell a little longer, if I've ignored the comments of said poster before, I'm inclined to do it again. 3) Respondents. (if it looks like an interesting or helpful discussion, I'm going to pay attention. 4) History.
If the discussion involves several posters whose previous engagements have interested me, I'm going to pay attention.

You may find it interesting to check the numbers of views generated by certain authors on certain sites. There are several who draw a crowd, even with an uninteresting post, strictly because a spirited discussion seems to follow them,
(sometimes becoming mean-spirited before it's over).

My guess is that sooner or later, this board will pick up activity, as folks tire of the flamers on McGriffs, and the
perpetual waiting and site quirks on eteamz. I'm sure there are many posts on McGriffs only because of the anonymous
nature, and on eteamz the wait sometimes tires the patience of a saint, as well as the "lost" responses happening.

Don't give up, it may be worth the wait.