View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 05:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
I don't understand the current preoccupation that officials have now about emphasizing travelling, carrying and off ball fouls such as marginal bad screens. These violations are game interrupters that put the focus of the game squarely on the officials. Travelling and carrying should be called when obvious and when they cause an advantage IMO.
Maybe traveling, carrying and off ball fouls get called because they're rules. Maybe they also get called because all three have been and still are concerns of both the NFHS and the NCAA; all have been repeated POE's in the last few years. Maybe they're finally getting called too in the NBA because viewers are sick of watching streetball with no rules and the ratings were going south. People, including posters here, weren't complaining about "marginal" calls in the NBA; they were complaining about very obvious and blatant calls that were being ignored. I'm in that camp btw.

Advantage/disadvantage was never meant to apply to violations. You're not describing "game interrupters"; you're describing rec league and AAU ball at it's finest.

And, as for putting the focus of the game squarely on officials, personally I'll take the official who's got the balls to make a tough call over the one who doesn't have that particular attribute. An official who is not afraid to make the tough call is naturally gonna get some attention for making a tough call.....and that attention doesn't both them one bit.