View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Talking to fans

I have coached hockey, soccer, and basketball at various levels of play, and I have always had the same reaction to a ref conversing with fans during a game. I immediately have a lower opinion of that ref, rightly or wrongly. I know referees can't completely ignore everything that is said, but hearing fans and interacting with fans are two different things.

I have always thought that commenting to fans reflects badly on the ref. It simply makes them appear to be less than professional. I do not see that it accomplishes anything positive in terms of the game that you are officiating, and nothing in any post I have read on this subject in the past two years changes my opinion (boy am I ever a hardhead!). If a fan is out of line for the level of play (e.g., my tolerance level for fan abuse in a 3rd grade rec game would be much lower than in a packed varsity gym!), have them removed by the game management. Otherwise, make them believe that you do not hear them.

It might make you feel better, it might entertain some fans, but talking to fans during the contest doesn't make the game better.