Thread: Ode to "scabs".
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Personal Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
Ok, I am NOT going to write a real "ode" to you fellow scabs. But, I would at least like to give you all a big ol' GOOD JOB!, and ATTA BOY!, and WAY TO GO!

Way to keep the game going guys!
Choosing to work or not to work was a personal choice. At the games I went to the replacement umpires did a very good job. The replacement umps did not deserve the abuse, threats, and onslaught of other bad acts from fellow umpires. I observed a drunk guy in what I assume was a regular minor league umpire uniform screaming obscenities at the umpire from the seats by the first base line. He didn't care that there were kids in the area. After that my mind was made up who I was going to support in this labor dispute, and that was before I heard stories from other umpires about middle of the night phone calls where filthy things were said to their wives. I would have been more likely to support the amlu guys if they had behaved professionally but the things the umpire said at the game I attended would have made a teamster blush.

An umpire I know told me that Andy Roberts "retired." I find it hard to believe that he would lead these guys out on strike and not work under the terms he negotiated. Any of you connected guys know anything about this?