View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Speaking ASA, is there a penalty for a defensive team member (player or coach) in the dugout loudly yelling something to distract the batter just as the batter is beginning his/her swing (and succeeding)?
USC

Quote:

Rule 6. (Pitching Regulations - Slow Pitch) 4.B states that "A fielder shall not ...with deliberate unsportsmanlike intent, act in a manner to distract the batter. EFFECT: The offending player shall be ejected from the game."

Rule 1 states: "A fielder is any player of the team in the field."

By that definition, a player who is sitting out that defensive half-inning is, technically, a "player of the team" that is currently "in the field." I'm inclined to believe however, that the intent of that definition was not to include players that are, at that time, bench personnel.
The definition here is to be taken literally. If the player isn't taking a position on the field, s/he is not a fielder.
Quote:

The other two sections which discuss obstruction do not mention anything about defensive bench personnel (POE 36, Rule 8.5).
That's because such a thing doesn't exist
Quote:

ASA Casebook Play 1-79 states that it is not obstruction when a defensive team member (it specifically mentions a defensive coach in the dugout) attempts to verbally distract or confuse a runner (i.e. when a runner is tagging up on a caught fly ball - telling them to "GO" early in hopes of getting an out on appeal). In the listed ruling, the following statement is present: "...there is no penalty for a defensive player or a coach yelling."

Should this be taken in the context of pertaining only to runners, however, as that is all the play addresses?

Rule 1 states: "Obstruction is the act of a defenisve team member: A. Who hinders or impedes a batter from striking at or hitting a pitched ball."

If the Casebook play ruling statement is to be applied universally, then it is in direct contradiction with the Rule 1 definition of obstruction, so I'm inclined to say that it is meant to address only runners.

Therefore, by the Rule 1 definition of obstruction, I have obstruction. However, there is no penalty listed that I can find for this type of obstruction in any of the listed sections.

So, if this is a violation of the rules, do we treat it similar to catcher's obstruction, with a delayed dead ball and coach's choice, etc.? Or do we treat it similar to a fake tag, with a player (or team? or both teams?) warning and possible ejection for a future violation?

My inclination is to treat it as a combination of the two, perhaps with giving a delayed dead ball signal, and then coach's choice if applicable, and a warning to the bench. But then, in Championship play, if I'm asked to cite a rule and penalty, I'll be hard-pressed to do so.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
You are wasting far too much time overthinking this. Yelling anything does not prevent a batter from striking the ball. IMO, it is unsportsmanlike conduct to act in the manner you described. I would tell the manager of the team that a repeat will result in the ejection of the team member. If I cannot determine which team member created the problem, the manager/head coach will be ejected.

However, it is not obstruction.