Thread: Did I mess up?
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
WWTB, Forest asked if what he did was right. I don't think a dissertation like yours above was really necessary, for I think it's obvious Forest knows that umpires don't seek a show of hands when deciding calls.

With respect to Forest's situation specifically, while the manner in which he handled it is not the preferred way, in his specific situation it worked out fine, and that's what is important. He may have gotten lucky things didn't get worse, or he may have handled it relatively well. That's probably a matter of opinion. However, a simple advisory comment is better than a rather condescending dissertation.
What Forest did was wrong. Is that better?

The player contradicted the umpire's original call (lack of one by PU and the BU obviously didn't kill it on a foul ball). This is not okay and the fact that it 'worked out' is not what is important. An umpire is not seek the input of the player in making his calls! The umpire then reversed his partner's call based on this input. That is not a dissertation, it is the basic premise of umpiring - call what you see.