Thread: Did I mess up?
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump
I volunteer my time umpiring for this league because my kids play in it.
Steve...this is a VERY dangerous practice. I've been there, done that...and trust me, no matter how much you want to "give back" to the league, it isn't worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump
I would never ask the kids in the older leagues a question like that but I didn't think I was out of line doing this with the younger ones. I probably shouldn't have and most likely won’t do it again just because I can see the problems it can cause.
I think you learned from this. That's the whole point. Sometimes we do things in games that when we reflect on, we decide it wasn't wise, and we won't repeat it in future games. Personally, I won't ever ask a player, no matter what level. I'm sure at one point I did, but it was one of those things I learned never to do. Coaches seem to appreciate it better when you admit "Coach I can't call something I didn't see...I'll check with my partner, but if he didn't see it either, we're sticking with the original call". At least they then know what to expect all game, and you won't have a situation happen later in the game (like you did). Hope this helps!