Thread: Did I mess up?
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

As this board knows, I'm the biggest proponent of 'Get the Call Right', but I must have missed the section that allows the umpire to seek input from the contestants when making this type of call.

While many youths in this age group are honest, I've also seen church league pastors come unglued and get bounced during the heat of competition. Please don't base your call on what the player says - especially after you've already made a call.

1) Swipe tag at second and you call the runner out. The runner is irate and storms off the field insisting that you blew it. You turn to the second baseman and say, "You did get him, right?" The second baseman say that he didn't. Do you change the call?

2) The pitch is delivered and you get screened on this high and tight delivery. The batter drops his bat and you call "Time" and award him first base. As he trots down there, do you ask him if it really hit him?

3) The outfielder makes a great attempt - diving away from you as he goes to corral the ball. He stands up with the ball in his mitt and you signal emphatically, "Out". The opposing coach had a better angle and is jumping up and down that the ball was trapped. You ask the fielder if he really caught the ball and he says, "Well, it was really close, blue." Do you then signal "No catch" and place the runner where you think he may have wound up if the ball had not been caught cleanly?

Come on...