View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
Earlier you said "Also, the NCAA book clearly states "The intent of the force-play-slide rule is to ensure the safety of the defensive player." No such statement of intent in the FED book, although I happen to agree that is the intent of the rule."
Luke, actually it does. I didn't post that part of the rule because I thought my post(s) were already ridiculously long & was looking for places to shorten. Here's the text from the NCAA rules (2004 edition - maybe it's changed since then):

Quote:
SECTION 4. The intent of the force-play-slide rule is to ensure the safety of the defensive player. This is a safety as well as an interference rule. Whether the defense could have completed the double play has no bearing on the applicability of this rule.
Other than that minor tangential point, I completely agree with what you say in your above post.

LMAN,

I also agree with your comments, with the possible exception of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAN
..."Touching" F4 is irrelevant, and everyone knows that. ...
If you're saying that contact is not REQUIRED for an FPSR violation, I completely agree. OTOH, if you're saying that contact is completely irrelevant in judging an FPSR situation, I would disagree.

JM