View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
I disagree with the assertion that I should not consider whether the defense had a chance to turn the double play (a priciple, by the way, under which I give the benefit of every doubt to the defense).
Earlier you said "Also, the NCAA book clearly states "The intent of the force-play-slide rule is to ensure the safety of the defensive player." No such statement of intent in the FED book, although I happen to agree that is the intent of the rule."

Do you think that illegal slide is less dangerous if BR is fast and would have been able to beat the throw to first? Also no rule book supports taking into account if the defense would have been able to get the double play or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
6-4-3 situation: ball hit deep in the hole. R1 was moving with the pitch. F6 bobbles, then fields and throws to second. F4, facing F6, is pulled off the bag by F6's rushed throw. R1 comes into the second base bag standing up, never touching F4. F4, now trying to get any out he can, heaves to ball to F3, but the BR is already two steps past first.

R1 nominally violated the FPSR- he never got down or out of the way. His failure to do so also had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the play.
That is not a violation of the FPSR. Runners are not required to slide. If they do not slide then they cannot make contact with the fielder or alter the play. The runner in your play did neither.