View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

WWTB offers two examples: 1. a base coach giving unnecessarily prolonged signals, and 2. a manager repeatedly changing pitchers.

In #1, the umpire should instruct the batter to take his position in the batter's box. Should the batter fail to do so, the umpire should call a "directed strike". If, on the other hand, the umpire allows the base coach & batter to illegally delay the game, he's not a very good umpire and needs some remedial work on his game management skills.

If the batter has a foot in the batters box and his hand up indicating that he is seeking signs from his coach, a good umpire will acquiesce. How long is too long? Even in Fed, umpires are taught to permit certain actions as long as they don't unduly delay the progress of the game. If the coach wants to give 15 seconds worth of signals and you prohibit it, you are an OOO and deserve what is coming. Now the game will be delayed by you confronting the coac, batter or worse. You've just played into his hand.

#2 is a little trickier. The manager may have a legitimate reason to switch pitchers. Each pitcher he brings in, of course, must pitch to at least one batter or retire the side before he is replaced by another pitcher. Unless he becomes "incapacitated" before doing so. If the umpire "feels" (which is, more or less what "palpably" means) the manager is simply trying to delay the game to gain an unfair advantage which is obviously not intended by the rules by doing so, he should put a stop to it. Umpire judgement.

What level are you discussing? I can't imagine that you haven't witnessed this happening. Coaches request "Time" and then slowly stroll out to talk to the pitcher, buying time for a few more relief warm ups. Then they get back to the dugout and wait for the batter to get set. They then request "Time" again and make another slow walk to change the pitcher. This guy takes his warm ups and then proceeds to throw three consecutive balls. The coach requests "Time" yet again and spends his minute consulting with the battery. Ball four comes and we have another pitching change. Yada, yada, yada...come on coach, this happens at all levels with players who shave. It is a tactical strategy that works wonders when the sun is setting or inclement weather is rolling in. Again, if you step up and say, "I know what you are doing coach and I'm not going to allow it." He's likely to say, "You must know Dionne Warwick and her psychic friends. I'm coaching the team and need to talk with my pitcher. The rules allow it, don't they?" Then you tell him to hurry up as the other team starts chirping. He replies that he has no intent to rush the time he is legally permitted to spend consulting with his club. Just as the huddle breaks, his pitcher calls to the coach that his arm is hurting and out trots the trainer. Now you have an injury time out and the coach is doing what he is supposed to do...prevent his team from losing. I could have sworn you undestood this.

Surely you don't tolerate this kind of B.S. in the games you officiate, do you WWTB?

I let the players decide the game, coach. I don't interject just to placate another team. I understand the strategy and subtelty of the game. If one team is taking advantage of every rule they can, there is little that an official can or should do. Maybe the coaches at lower levels are bullied by OOOs, but most of the ones I encounter are very familiar with rules. I don't allow a team to cheat but I certainly respect good strategy. If the shoe was on the other foot, the griping coach would be doing the same thing. We can absolutely encourage good sportsmanship and urge them to hustle, but if you insert yourself into the game the delay will now be caused by you.

JM[/QUOTE]