View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Basic Principles

1. A runner is never forced to slide.

2. There is no "magic distance", under any code, at which a runner is forced to slide or peel off.

3. The intent of the FPSR is to protect the defense- articulated in both the American Legion and NCAA codes.

4. No code mandates an automatic double pay if R1 is hit with the relay throw.

All of the above, taken in consideration together, means: (get ready)

UMPIRE'S JUDGMENT is the one controlling, crucial factor.

For those of you who believe I never call a FPSR violation, I do and I have- about four times in my career. Intent of the runner or the fielder was not a factor in my decision. Three factors came in: (1) Did the defense have even the slightest chance to turn the double play and (2) did the runner interfere (intentional or not) with that chance? or (3) Did the rulebook mandate a FPSR violation- e.g.- pop-up, roll-block, spike above the knee, etc.

If the answer to the first two or the last question is "yes"- I have a FPSR violation, and I'm going Godzilla to get two. Yes, I will deal with the offensive coach.

Back to the orginal sitch: R1 is plunked in the THIGH six feet from second base with the relay throw. Not in the head, not in the chest, in the THIGH. I didn't see it, obviously, but based on the description of the play, I'm saying that R1 did not threaten the defensive player's safety, and the defense had no reasonable chance to turn the double play, and that there was no rulebook mandate for two.

I positively, absolutely refuse to reward the defense for silly, stupid and sloppy play until a black and white rule makes me do it. And then I will be angry, but I won't quit umpiring.

Strikes and outs!

Last edited by BlueLawyer; Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 10:35pm.