View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not recall that most of us are asking you how we enforce rules. The NF and NCAA have spoken. If they both feel this is not the proper application, who really gives a damn what others think. You can post all sides of this issue and make it seem like people are "ignoring" the rules. This is why we are umpires and you are a coach.

Peace
Well....Alrighty then! I guess we're done here.

Oh, except I couldn't believe I had missed the following from the American Legion rules, and thought I'd post it on the off chance anyone was interested.

Quote:
G. Force-Play-Slide Rule. The intent of the force-play-slide rule is to ensure the safety of the defensive player. This is a safety as well as an interference rule. Whether the defense could have completed the double play has no bearing on the applicability of this rule. This rule pertains to a force-play situation at any base, regardless of the number of outs.

1. On any force play, the runner must slide on the ground and in a direct line between the two bases.

Exception – A runner need not slide directly into a base as long as the runner slides or runs in a direction away from the fielder to avoid making contact or altering the play of the fielder.
a) “On the ground” means either a head-first slide or a slide with one leg and buttock on the ground.
b) “Directly into a base” means the runner’s entire body (feet, legs, trunk and arms) must stay in a straight line between the bases.

2. Contact with a fielder is legal and interference shall not be called if the runner:
a) Makes a legal slide directly to the base, or
b) Is on the ground at the time of contact and the fielder moves directly down the line between the two bases to attempt a play.
c) Makes a legal slide and makes contact with a defensive player who is on or over, but not beyond the base.

Clarification
When the base runner slides beyond the base, but does not (1) make contact with, or (2) alter the play of the defensive player, interference shall not be called.

Clarification 1
If a runner goes into a base standing up and does not make contact or alter the play of the defensive player, interference shall not be called.

Clarification 2
If the runner goes into a base standing up and is safe or out, but makes contact with or alters the play of the defensive player, interference shall be called.
JM