View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
"A.R. - If a runner goes into a base standing up and does not make contact or alter the play of the defensive player, interference shall not be called."

NCAA 8-4, pages 86-87, [url
http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2006/2006_baseball_rules.pdf[/url]
And that is the problem I have in the ORIGINAL SITCH. Second baseman hit runner in mid-thigh from 6 feet away. The original posted even said that there was no way the ball was getting to first base. Throwing it there from that close seems to me that that is exactly where the second baseman wanted to throw it so I don’t see how the runner altered the throw. I am not a mind reader so I am not going to try to guess that the 2nd baseman was afraid to hit the runner in the face so he threw it at his legs. All I can go by is what I see and I see a second baseman making no attempt to throw the ball to first but attempting to hit the runner in the thigh, which he did, no interference. Now, if the kid is afraid to hit the runner, fine, throw it over his head, throw it over his shoulder , hit him in the shoulder, do something so it at least looks like you are trying to get the out at first.

By your own definition, the second baseman could have taken the throw, spiked the ball into the runner’s foot and it would be interference on the runner. I don't think that call would go over.

Last edited by gsf23; Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 01:56pm.