View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Course in logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
So if F6 steps to the side of the base and gets taken out by a sliding R1 you don't call interference because you don't want to reward the defense if they can't make the play. Sure R1's actions were illegal, but F6 could have jumped higher or steped farther to the side to avoid R1.

The play being discussed in this thread is no different. In both cases R1 did something illegal which is interference if he makes contact with the fielder or alters the play (if you don't want to use an old McNeely quote, then R1's illegal side is interference whether or not he actually makes contact or alters the play). In both plays the fielder could have done something different to get off a good throw. In the play above F6 could have jumped higher and avoided the contact from the sliding R1. Sure in the play in question the fielder could side step to give himself a clear throwing lane to first base. But jumping extra high may cause the fielder to get off a bad throw. Stepping to the side costs time which could result in the BR being safe at first base. Arent both of those examples of runners altering the play?

The FPSR puts the responsibility on the runner to make sure the fielder is able to have a "fair" shot at turning the double play. You are switching it up and putting the responsibility on the fielder by saying the fielder could have done something to avoid the runner. That is backwards. The runner avoids the fielder. The fielder should not have to avoid the runner.

I figured it out what you are doing. You are completly ignoring the FPSR. You are trying to call simple interference with a thrown ball. That does require intent, but the FPSR is different. The FPSR does not require intent. It is interference if the runner does not slide and either makes contact with the fielder or alters the play. There is no saying the runner didn't mean to interfere. Either the runner interfered or he didn't.
You can take things out of context and make it say anything you want. If you will read everything that I have written in this thread, it is very consistent and per rule.

The runner does not have to slide. The runner has a right to run to the base - standing up if he wants.

If he interferes with the play by F4 or F6 call interference, if he doesn't interfere, we have nothing.

This is not very hard at all. There's the old saying about mountains ...

But, there is nothing in a rule or interpretation about calling someone out simply because they go into the base standing up.

That's what I have been saying in everything I have written/typed in this thread. If you want to call interference on a play simply because the runner was doing what he was supposed to do, then go ahead. (Edited to add "unless the fielder interferes or alters the play")

Make the call and eject the coach. But, by rule and interpretation that is not what FED has at this point.

Thanks
David

Last edited by David B; Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 09:16am.