View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
Do we all agree that a runner is never forced to slide? The FED commentary says exactly that. Then it says if he does slide, he must do so legally. That seems simple enough to me.

Forgive me for saying this, but those of you who are saying that R1 doesn't have to slide but if F4 or F6 beans him, his batter is out, are saying the same thing. "You don't have to slide. But if you don't, and the defense plunks you, you AND your batter are out." That's saying you have to slide, which stands the whole "a runner is never forced to slide" thing on its head.

What happens if he peels off 45 feet from second and is standing in the right field grass when F6 plunks him? Is his BR still out?

Sounds like there is a penalty for not sliding- i.e., he's forced to slide.

Get down or out of the way at second base. Not 45 feet from second, not 10 feet from second- AT second.

Strikes and outs!
This is not about sliding. It's about getting hit by a throw after being forced out by not making any effort to not get hit by the throw. The evidence points to FED wanting this called FPSR if it happens close to 2B, at least from this juror.