View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

I hate to do it but I am going to agree with CoachJM on this. His argument is eloquent and convincing. Rumble's ruling in 1998, and Situation 19 in the 2006 Interpretations indicate that FED wants this called.

"SITUATION 19: R1 is on first base with no outs. B2 smashes a one-hopper to F6, who flips the ball to F4 to quickly retire R1. F4 then relays the ball to first in an attempt for a double play, but the ball strikes R1, who is in the baseline and less than halfway to second. The ball ricochets into short right field and B2 reaches first safely. RULING: The play stands. This is not a violation of the force-play slide rule by R1. Unless R1 intentionally made a move to interfere with the thrown ball, the ball stays live and in play. (8-4-2b, 8-4-2g)"

This suggests that being less than half-way when struck is not interference so one could surmise that being more than half-way is. The runner has at least as much time to make a slight adjustment in his path as the pivot man has to make a slight adjustment to his throw. If FED wants safety then runners should move over when they can clearly see they are out on a FP.

PU should be watching the runner, not 2B, to see if there is a FPSR violation. BU has the play at 2B, and then the play at 1B.

I don't recall ever having this happen, but if it does, I will be ready for the discussion, if one arises.