View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
You forgot failing to slide and altering the play.
Those are two different things- I can not slide and not alter the play, OR, I can slide AND alter the play. Altering the play has nothing to do with sliding or not.

Quote:
No one has said anything about forcing runners to slide. No one has said that if the runner does not slide that it is interference. What has been said is that the runner either has to slide or attempt to avoid the play.
Look back at the thread. At least three people have suggested that failure to slide should be considered interference.

Quote:
Why do you not want this runner to slide? Do you want him to run full speed through second base and continue to third because he can't assume that he will be out at second? I think you are very confused.
At no point did I say I didn't want him to slide. I feel that like catching bare-handed or switch-hitting, sliding is a strategy call that should be made by coaches and players, not umpires. I couldn't care less if a player slides ir not- but I do not think it's right to mandate a slide in any situation. If a player can go into second standing up without committing rulebook interference, more power to him. I'm not sonfused- I just haven't drank the interference koolaid.

Quote:
You seem to be thinking that there are people here who want the runner to slide into second base at all times. Where did you get the idea that someone wanted R1 to slide into second base when the ball gets through the infield?.
There ARE people here who want the runner to slide into second at all times- I've read their posts. No one suggested R1 slide into second when the ball gets through, but if you mandate a slide at second, people will be sliding in on blown plays.

Look, I'm pro rule book, and beyond that, I'm pro league rules. If a league wants to implement a rule- great, I'll call it. But until then, game on.

Bainer.