View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Guys are cracking me up. I'll have to research the last time I've seen a kid with brain damage from a throw in the infield.

That's why we wear helmets - its called baseball, and sometimes its a rough game.
Helmets won't help when a hard throw from F4 catches the runner between the eyes at 6'

Quote:
Kids get hit by throws all the time - the point is that we are officials. Our job is to call the rules, not protect the players from injury.
Many rules, especially in Fed, are safety rules. Therefore if we call the rules correctly we are doing our part in maintaining safety and preventing injury.

Quote:
y rule, the player that wants to run to second instead of sliding has the right to do that without interference being called simply because he was standing up.
That's the debate at the moment. Some say by rule he does not have that right if it alters the play.

Quote:
Our job as umpires is to make a judgement on whether there was interference or not. (And that is very very seldom going to be the result)
I agree, most kids have enough sense to get out of the way

Quote:
Over 28 years of calling baseball and i dont' have one mention in my journal of a kid being hurt by a throw from f4 or f6 on the DP. Seen a lot of close ones, but that's what makes it such a great game.
So baseball is like NASCAR. The closer a player gets to serious injury the greater the game?
For 20 of your 28 years there was no FPSR, now there is and the debate is not how many times it will or could happen, the debate is if it does happen what is the call. I say again, IMO FPSR is for the the runners safety as well as the fielders, therefore I interpret that runner must get out of the way.
The play is in front of him. Sliding or veering to avoid the relay throw is not a hardship. It's different from what baseball was for many years, but it is what it is.
Some old dogs might have to learn a new trick.

Last edited by NIump50; Sat Jun 03, 2006 at 02:54pm.