View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
The one problem I have with your statement about liability in high school games, is that, at least here in NY, is that you as officials are acting as agents of the New York Public High School Athletic Assn., and so are acting (indirectly I will admit) as agents of the school systems. Also in NY, most of the games outside NYC are assigned by, and paid for by an organization called BOCES, which is another organization of local school districts which centralizes technical training, and also acts as the scheduler and overseer of athletic contests in each region. WE have been told we ARE liable, since WE are the representitives of both entities. This is also what gives us the authority over whatever school employees happen to be at a game (security, custodial workers, etc..) Now, it might be different elsewhere, but this is what we are told anyways....
Here is my problem with your statement, Lou. It sounds more like you are an employee which I doubt the State of NY would agree. Does BOCES required registration, dues/fees and provide insurance? If the answer is yes, that's fine. However, I would find a lawyer to establish the extent of liability for which you are responsible. Obviously, the attorney cannot provide guarantees, but can give you a good idea of where an umpire stands in certain circumstances.