View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Absolutely the ump is liable in a HS game - it's happened in WV. While walking the field there was a sign leaning against the fence that the umps tossed over the outfield fence. During the game, a gust of wind picked it up and it hit a guy in the stands (15-20' away). He sued and won!
Which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with equipment inspection.

NFHS Rule 3-5-1
Quote:
Prior to the start of the game at the pregame conference, a head coach shall be responsible for verifying to the plate umpire that all his/her players are legally equipped, and that players and equipment are in compliance with all NFHS rules.
PENALTY: (Art. 1) The game may not begin until the head coach attends the pregame conference and verifies player and equipment compliance.
NOTE:
Although umpires have the duty and right to inspect equipment, the responsibility for proper equipment rests with coaches, student-athletes and their parents/guardians.
(Thanks to Pennsylvania for championing this new rule).

Seems pretty clear as to who is liable. But, then, a slick shyster can convince a jury of just about anything in order to win the lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
The one problem I have with your statement about liability in high school games, is that, at least here in NY, is that you as officials are acting as agents of the New York Public High School Athletic Assn., and so are acting (indirectly I will admit) as agents of the school systems. Also in NY, most of the games outside NYC are assigned by, and paid for by an organization called BOCES, which is another organization of local school districts which centralizes technical training, and also acts as the scheduler and overseer of athletic contests in each region. WE have been told we ARE liable, since WE are the representitives of both entities. This is also what gives us the authority over whatever school employees happen to be at a game (security, custodial workers, etc..) Now, it might be different elsewhere, but this is what we are told anyways....
As I recall, NY does not use Fed rules. ASA has no such statement of responsiblity in it as I quoted above.