View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
In a HS game, I don't believe the umpire is liable. It is a preventive umpiring issue that works well. The reason you can ask coaches in HS concerning the proper equipment, but not in ASA or whatever, is because the kids are wards of the school during any school-sanctioned activity.
Absolutely the ump is liable in a HS game - it's happened in WV. While walking the field there was a sign leaning against the fence that the umps tossed over the outfield fence. During the game, a gust of wind picked it up and it hit a guy in the stands (15-20' away). He sued and won!

As far as painted helmets go - we toss them in LL. When I went to Southern Region they had us toss them if they were marked with a magic marker! In HS paint is allowed. I've never seen a helmet compromised because of paint or decals but again it goes back to liability. The owner has the option of having the helmet OK by the manufacturer who should provide a letter of such. If the manufacturer won't stand by it - toss it!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.