View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Teams that play good baseball don't have these problems as F6 and F4 are taught the proper fundamentals of taking the turn over second etc., on the double play ball.
I beg to differ.
Good middle infielders are taught not to adjust their throw to avoid a runner.
All they need to do is put one hard one between the eyes of an interfering runner and they won't have to worry about making "adjustments" ever again playing that team.

Quote:
However, unless there is obvious interference with the play, its going to be a stretch to call a FPSR in FED ball by an umpire saying it looked like he interfered with the play, or I thought he interfered with the throw.
I believe FPSR is for the safety of both runner and fielder. If so, it is easy to interpret the language of the rule to mean the runner needs to get out of the way. Do you really believe Fed intended to leave a loophole allowing the runner to legally get one upside the head?
For me, it's not a stretch to interpret and enforce a rule that encourages a runner to do what every major leaguer does, get the heck out of the way and prevent brain damage.
When I was in HS and College I was young and stupid and sometimes pi##ed off at the other team. There's nothing I would've liked better than to have a free shot at a runner. Until Fed. says different I have to believe they are trying to avoid the free shot.

Quote:
I don't have the quote with me, but Carl had a great article a while back on the FPSR. R1 slides legally but hard into F4 making the turn on the DP. Coach, "that's interference". Umpire, "quit playing freshmen in the infield"

thanks
David
The only way R1 can slide hard 'into' F4 is if F4 is on the first base side of the bag, in which case he is on his own. Anywhere else, if R1 is sliding hard into him I've got interference and quite possibly sending R1 home to do his chores.