View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
In a HS game, I don't believe the umpire is liable. It is a preventive umpiring issue that works well. The reason you can ask coaches in HS concerning the proper equipment, but not in ASA or whatever, is because the kids are wards of the school during any school-sanctioned activity.

In ASA or whatever, there is no loco parentis for the purpose of responsibility for a minor.

An umpire would be liable if they knowingly allowed a piece of damaged/non-approved equipment to be used during the game and it resulted in an injury.

Same at the ASA level. The umpires are to check equipment, but it does not relieve the teams of their liabilities.

The one problem I have with your statement about liability in high school games, is that, at least here in NY, is that you as officials are acting as agents of the New York Public High School Athletic Assn., and so are acting (indirectly I will admit) as agents of the school systems. Also in NY, most of the games outside NYC are assigned by, and paid for by an organization called BOCES, which is another organization of local school districts which centralizes technical training, and also acts as the scheduler and overseer of athletic contests in each region. WE have been told we ARE liable, since WE are the representitives of both entities. This is also what gives us the authority over whatever school employees happen to be at a game (security, custodial workers, etc..) Now, it might be different elsewhere, but this is what we are told anyways....

As I said, this has never been a real problem here, as 99.9% of the teams have the 'bats n' hats' out for inspection without having to ask so...

Lou
ASA/NYSSO/CHVBGSO/PONY [did I miss one? ]

the technical term for all of this, I believe, is called covering yer butt!