View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Good baseball don't have these problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
So the runner should be able to make the fielder step to the side to create a throwing lane? That step to the side could be the difference between the BR being out or safe. I don't see how there is any debate over this play as the runner did not slide an obviously altered the play of the fielder.

That is what I have been saying all along. The runner should either get on the ground or get out of the way.
Teams that play good baseball don't have these problems as F6 and F4 are taught the proper fundamentals of taking the turn over second etc., on the double play ball.

However, unless there is obvious interference with the play, its going to be a stretch to call a FPSR in FED ball by an umpire saying it looked like he interfered with the play, or I thought he interfered with the throw.

I don't have the quote with me, but Carl had a great article a while back on the FPSR. R1 slides legally but hard into F4 making the turn on the DP. Coach, "that's interference". Umpire, "quit playing freshmen in the infield"

thanks
David