Thread: Camel Backs???
View Single Post
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaCityBrian
I understand that there is another thread about hydration but I more specifically was curious if anyone employs the CamelBack Hydration Systems http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm, Personally I have found these great for other activities but never thought of the uses for something such as umpiring. I of course the only application for this would be for the PU but I do think it would be and suitable water source for the game. Although I could for some people see where it may be an incumberence. The back I have considered getting holds approx. 2.1 Liters, I am guessing about 4.5 lbs of extra weight. I personally do not believe it to be too much of an issue but I am just looking for some opinion as to the use or reasons not to use such an item.

I of course would be wearing this under my shirt in concert with my CP.

Thank You

Also I live in Florida so hydration seems as though it is going to be a significant issue as it has been every year!
In between innings, if you get to the point that you must have fluid, call time, get a drink. There's no shame for an umpire to use common sense and folks understand that we have been out there working just as hard as the catcher. You may even want to mention this in your pre-game that if you call time, it's because of the heat.

It was in the low 90's here yesterday, working two games and some worked three games in the regionals, it was very humid, no air movement at all here in KY.