View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 02, 2002, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

my philosophy on these types of rebounds are in
a) i would call a foul.
b & c) i would not call a foul-i would also remember the play and player. by remebering the play i can be more alert for the action the next time it happens and be ready to call the foul if the rebound was to come to an area where b1 has a chance to make a play on the ball.

the reason i would not call a foul is because no advantage has been gained. though a3 pushes b1 3ft or so b1 had no chance of rebounding. the term used on these plays is "game interuptor". my opinion on calling this a foul is that it interupts the flow of the game and is not a neccessary call to make.

now if a3 was a player that is disrupting the game by playing to rough or has been causing problems(taunting, or questioning every call, or just being plain out ***hole) i may call this a foul to convey the message that this game is getting to rough and the players need to play with less aggression and more control(basically reel the game in control). also if the push is excessive or a personal guesture to piss off a player a call needs to be made.

i think plays like these(b &c) are good tools for game management. if teams are playing in a good manner with good sportsmanship passing on these plays could be a good idea. you can always come in with a whistle to gain control when the play is ugly or rough to calm the game down.

another twist to this play is the same play but reverse a3 and b1.
if b1 were to push a3 in the situation B & C i would use the same philosophy because no advantage has been gained. and in situation C i would not want to score the basket and then give team A the ball back or put them on the line for freethrows.