View Single Post
Old Sat May 27, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Bainer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainer
Partner and I both notice the pitcher from the first game leaving the bench and going into the crowd...then returning to talk to the assistant...then leaving again, etc. (we all know what's going on at this point)
IMO, as soon as you knew what was going on with the jerk manager you properly ejected you should have:

1. halted the game.

2. announced that it would not continue until the ejected manager had left the premises.

3. if he had not left the premises within whatever you considered a reasonable amount of time, announced that the game was suspended and leave it to the league to decide how they want to deal with it.

I actually believe that your second ejection was improper. The second ejection was a result of your failure to enforce the first ejection.

I also believe that you do not have the authority to declare a forfeit in the situation you described, as some have suggested. I applaud your response in saying you would not abuse your legitimate authority in issuing additional ejections to the point that you would have the authority to declare a forfeit.

Now, if the ejected manager refuses to leave and you do suspend the game, if I'm on the league BOD, I might be inclined to declare the game a forfeit. I would certainly be inclined to suspend the offending manager for (at least) the remainder of the season.

But hey, I'm just a coach (and a BOD member), so I could be wrong.

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Sun May 28, 2006 at 12:03am.