View Single Post
Old Sat May 27, 2006, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Do you toss this coach?

Situation TODAY.
Bear with me, as it is the SECOND ejection that I'm asking about.

Young, bitter ex-pro turned youth travel coach (you know the type) will NOT SHUT UP- all game with the jabs and slurs and just out-of-ear-shot insults.
Opposing team (batting at the time) makes great play to break up a double play. It was hard, but totally clean.

Coach gets into it with third base coach- this gets quelled quickly- next batter, first pitch- plunk.
Rather than run anyone (no one was hurt, just pissed off), we gave both teams bench warnings, and stern words.

Start of the next inning- foul, foul, foul- ask coach for more balls, he snipes back "you need to tell me BEFORE the inning starts"- I explain that we had baseballs when the inning started, get more now.
He flips a few infield balls towards the plate and says "I'm not here to serve you", then turns to his assistant and refers to me in terms I will not repeat.

So after he gets ejected, the game goes along without incident.
But.... (There's always a but, isn't there?)
His team comes back to make a game of it, and in the bottom of the last, are threatening down by three, no outs runnner on first (catcher).

Partner and I both notice the pitcher from the first game leaving the bench and going into the crowd...then returning to talk to the assistant...then leaving again, etc. (we all know what's going on at this point)

Assistant asks for time, and brings in pinch runner. As we make the swap, I warn him that his players better stay out of the stands- he's the coach now.
Team loads bases, then sacs a guy in.

Chaos ensues on team's bench, ten or twelve guys yell for time, players are pouring into the crowd, and the ejected coach has now moved to the edge of the fencing and is shouting orders to everyone- who to sub in, what to do, etc.

Assistant actually walks over to the fence, discusses lineup card with ejected coach, affirms decisions, and continues strategizing. We both notice this and head toward the bench- assistant comes out to make the changes, and we tell him that he can now join his head coach in the stands.

Does anyone have a problem with shipping the second coach?
Rule 4.07
When a manager, player, coach or trainer is ejected from a game, he shall leave the field immediately and take no further part in that game. He shall remain in the club house or change to street clothes and either leave the park or take a seat in the grandstand well removed from the vicinity of his team's bench or bullpen.

I realize that it LOOKED bad, but they tried to get away with one and got caught.

Bainer.