View Single Post
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
He didn't apologize for missing the TO. Prince said that he said something ugly to him and that's what he apologized for.
We must be talking about a different interview because in the one that I saw, Prince said that Bavetta apologized for missing the TO call. Did Prince do another interview in the press room after the game?

I still think the apology was said not because he was wrong, but it was the professional thing to do. Why linger around after the game? Quickly say you're sorry and leave.

I'm still on Bavetta's side here with regards to not recognizing the TO. The onus is on the player and his teammates to alert the official of the timeout request.

While officials need to be aware of the situation, the official also needs to be in a position to ref the inbounds play. That's why if you saw the replay you would've seen Bavetta about 6ft. away from Prince. If you're right beside the inbounder, then you have a more difficult time seeing any violations. Due to the distance of the official in this case, Prince needed to make a visual request, too, because the arena was so loud.