View Single Post
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 12:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes1950
Varsity Fed rules. Had a catcher last night catch the third strike on a bounce which would have been the third out if caught cleanly. I called and signaled strike three. The batter started toward his dugout. The F2 asks me, "Do I have to throw him out?" I remained silent. The batter continued to the dugout and the defensive team was coming off the field when the defensive coach awoke and told the F2 to throw to 1b. They did so and I made the out call. The batter was probably 10 feet from his dugout. Large playable territory at this field. Make sure that you don't assist either team in this situation. I couldn't make any comment to the catcher even though he asked me a direct question.
IMO, this is just like the Doug Eddings debacle. I think you should have signaled "no catch" along with a verbal "no catch." I do this every time now, ever since the World Series snafu. This lets both the batter and defense know the situation. It is not "assisting" either team, just making the proper call. I have noticed that more big league umpires are now emphatically signaling "no catch" these days.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25