View Single Post
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 07:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
Detroit gets called for a 5 sec. violation on an inbounds during a critical last minute possession. Dick Bavetta was the new T official administering the count.

So I just listened to Tayshaun Prince's post-game interview and he said that he called timeout and that Bavetta didn't hear him because of the noise and that he apologized for it (very classy on Bavetta's part). They also showed a replay of the incident and IF Prince called a timeout, then it wasn't obvious.

I hate stupid players who blame officials for their mental mistakes. The crowd was obviously incredibly loud, so knowing that Prince needs to turn to the official and make a visual signal for a timeout. He makes a grade school mistake and makes it look like it was the official's fault for not acknowledging the TO. Incidences like this make officials the scapegoat for bad player decision.

"From Dick's point of view, he was so caught up in watching for the inbounds pass that he wasn't paying any attention to me," said Prince, who said Bavetta apologized to him afterward. "That upset me. He has to be looking in my area."

I hate it when I make mental mistakes.
Forget "classy" and do not make that error.
mick