Thread: Quick Huddles?
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 31, 2001, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Sparky,
I had a coach just screamin' at me the other night on a no-call. It was during a dead ball. He was outa the box about mid-court.
I walked over to his coaching box and stood on the floor with my hands behind my back, and my head humbly bowed, while he carved me a new orifice. He wasn't swearing, just talking loudly. (When I walked to the spot in front of his box, he, of course, followed cuz he wasn't quite done with me.)
I listened.
I left.
At halftime during warm-ups, he still wanted to talk about it. We had some time so I explained; my partner said he, too, had nothing. He became calm.
End of the game,he again said he was sorry for getting over-excited.
The point, I think, is to allow the coach to love the game as much as we do. If we bring confidence to the floor, then I think most of the emotion is unimportant.
mick
Well said, Mick. Have fun, try not to take things personally, work hard and things will fall into place nicely, most of the time. I had a coach upset over a call a week or so ago. His girl, playing defense on a shooter, jumped, banged her arm down slapping the shooter in the face. Of course, when I blow the whistle she's standing with her arms straight up and the "what'd I do" look. He's all over me on the way to the table, saying she was straight up, blah, blah, blah. I report the foul, he's still ranting and raving, so I walk over stand quietly in front of the bench, til he quits howling. I had already explained the call briefly to him so I wasn't going to address that again. When he quieted down I asked "are we done" in a very calm voice, he said "yyeeess" like a whiny ten year old, and I went to my trail position for the free throws. Don't know if this approach is recommended but it worked very well for me in this situation. I know if I had went across and heard him yapping non-stop where everybody in the gym could hear, it would have tripped my trigger and I would have ended up whacking him, so I handled it this way.