View Single Post
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan55
So under your scenario, a batter can walk on 4 IP's without a pitch delivered to the batter. When does an IP end? You call an IP when an improper act during the delivery process or height limit infraction, is committed, making the pitch to the batter illegal, giving the batter the option of taking or swinging. Nowhere does it say you kill it and award a ball. The batter determines if a ball. Once the improper act is committed, everything else is immaterial. You don't award a ball for each pump fake or pause in the delivery, except if the ball slips in the pitchers hand, then you have a NP. I still am awaiting for the clarification. I maybe wrong, but I look at it this way. You have a delivery process- the wind-up and then you have the pitch- release to the batter. If no release to the batter, then there's been no pitch made.(ok intentional walk is to be considered as a pitch being made). Pitcher starts his delivery, F3 says hold up, appeal runner missing 2B. Do you honor it? He's only committed an illegal act during the delivery, but the pitch has not been made. OK am I barking up the wrong tree or what?
Joe,

We are talking about a pitch that is NOT delivered. There is no ball for the batter to possibly hit.

An IP is enforced when the play is over. There is no pitch coming. The play is over. The umpire calls time and applies the penalty for the IP as that cannot be done during a live ball.