View Single Post
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Iff

I've seen many more problems caused by someone calling an Infield Fly when it wasn't warranted than not calling it when it’s appropriate. Like has been previously mentioned, if you don't call it you always have the opportunity to fix the situation if a problem arises.

While watching a PONY Tournament game a couple of years ago I watched a batter hit a ball of the handle of the bat that resulted in a short pop in front of the first base dugout. This was clearly a foul ball and no defensive player took more than 2 steps in the direction of the ball. From the PU I hear, "Infield fly, batter is out if fair!"

The ball landed at about the mid-point between the plate and first and about 10 feet foul. After it hit the ground it bounced and hit the fence so the outcome wasn't an issue. There wasn’t a defensive player within 25 feet of this ball, let alone in position to make a catch “with ordinary effort”.

I've known this PU for years so after the game I asked this question of him, "Joe, on that Infield Fly that landed in front of the dugout, if that ball had hit something and rolled into fair territory would you have called the batter out?"

"Yes, I would have", he stated proudly.

"Joe, that's terrible."