View Single Post
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzme415
Need help on some pitching questions for ASA SP no stealing (This was men's but could apply to womens or co-ed too):

Pitcher starts to deliver to plate, but doesn't deliver the ball - like a fake
Is this an illegal pitch, no pitch, or nothing? Does it matter if he steps off the pitcher's plate and comes back to restart?

I am having trouble calling low, below 6 feet, pitches illegal before they reach the plate - any suggestions? If a pitch is illegal and I don't call it fast enough the batter may swing. If I don't say it fast enough can I still call the pitch illegal and is there any recourse if the batter swings because I am late? I don't know why I am having so many problems with this this year.
As you described, yes illegal. Once the pitching motion starts, It must continue. The 6 footers are tough sometimes. When I start to have problems with them, I look for the pitch to get as high as the pitchers head, Avg. person. Like Mike said they'll swing at the flatter pitch, but if you feel it's illegal, whether you get it out or not, it is still illegal. I've had that delay, not getting something verbal, hoping it would rise a little more. Try to get the arm out as soon as possible. If the batter takes, I just say 'bring it up some'. The pitcher understands. The batters want it called on the high end.