View Single Post
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzme415
Need help on some pitching questions for ASA SP no stealing (This was men's but could apply to womens or co-ed too):

Pitcher starts to deliver to plate, but doesn't deliver the ball - like a fake
Is this an illegal pitch, no pitch, or nothing? Does it matter if he steps off the pitcher's plate and comes back to restart?
Once the pitcher comes to a stop on the pitcher's plate, any motion other than stepping back off the PP is part of the delivery. Failure to complete the delivery is an IP.
Quote:
I am having trouble calling low, below 6 feet, pitches illegal before they reach the plate - any suggestions? If a pitch is illegal and I don't call it fast enough the batter may swing. If I don't say it fast enough can I still call the pitch illegal and is there any recourse if the batter swings because I am late? I don't know why I am having so many problems with this this year.
If the pitch is THAT fast, you better be warning the pitcher about speed.

It is hard to get the entire call out, but any sound from the umpire should be an indication to the batter not to swing. Of course, many of these guy's eyes get so big when they see the flat pitch, they're swinging anyway.

You WILL have players telling you to call it sooner, but you may want to ask them how you are going to read the pitcher's mind to know before the ball is released that the pitch is going to be illegal.