View Single Post
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

This entire post is purely opinion.

WMB, you can stop reading this response, now. I will probably just annoy you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmom
I have a question on FED rule 3.2.2 - (in part) ....number must be of solid color contrasting with the color of shirt. ....numbers may have a contrasting color border, which shall not exceed 1/4 inch.
You've hit upon one of my pet peeves with NFHS. The OCD emphasis on uniform specifications is taking things to the absurd. If visibility was the key, why even mention the contrasting border at all? Why specify it as 1/4" maximum? If you think this is ridiculous, look at their rules on undergarments. And then what happens? The rule gets ignored, as your examples indicate. In MN, we play softball in what is laughably called "spring." In some parts of the state, poor sledding weather would be more accurate. Are we going to enforce the color of undergarments rule? Don't be silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmom
Even the penalty for such infractions doesn't really seem like a penalty...(refer the infraction to the state association)...unless you figure the cost to replace the uniforms.
Au contraire. Several state associations allow uniform violations to still be protested by opposing coaches after the contest is completed and have gotten state championships voided through DQs using this chicken "tool." While the extreme penalties are implemented by the states, the NFHS should put a stop to this by:

1) Cleaning up their uniform rules by removing the silliness and over-specification, and,

2) Require any protests filed over uniform violations to be done before the contest begins. Protests regarding uniform violations after the player in violation has entered the game and participated in one play or had one pitch thrown to her will be not honored.

3) Specify the maximum penalty that can be applied is the player will not be allowed to participate in that ONE contest until the uniform is corrected. After correction, she may participate without further penalty.

4) Allow state associations to only weaken the uniform rules, not strengthen them. IOW, state associations may allow a team in violation of the rules to participate anyway (hardship, etc.), but may not add requirements or penalties with the exception of sanctions directed solely at the institution (school) that will have no direct bearing on the current playing season.

As you can tell, I don't much like uniform rules. I recognize the need for SOME uniform regulations for schools (and for national championship play in ASA and the like), but the absurd level of specificity included in the NFHS rules and the open permisision for states to take it even further into the land of the "gotcha" needs to be fixed, IMO.