View Single Post
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 12:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I have 2 questions, one should have a very straight forward answer and I'm sure second will lead to a lot of different opinions.
  • 2-man. I am U1 Opening toss. Ball is tapped directly OOB behind the R. R blows whistle and asks for help which I easily give. Afterwards I was wondering if I should have blown my whistle when ball went OOB. Or to make the question more simple. Is the proper mechanic in 2-man for the U1 to have a whistle on all line until the jump ball ends?
I do not think there is a proper mechanic. I do think that the only person that would have the best look would be the R in this situation. The U1 would be looking across the court and might not see the line. I guess if you see the ball clearly goes across the line (hits something clearly out of bounds for example) the blow the whistle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
  • 2nd sitch (Fed rules). 2-man. Only one scoreboard working (behind White's basket). 6.5 seconds, Blue inbounding on its own baseline. I am Trail. Throw-in directly to post-player who immediately shoots (no dribble; just catch & shoot) and Blue makes basket and is up by 2. White grabs ball and immediately throws about a 35 foot inbound pass. While ball is in air (I am new Lead) I turn towards White's basket and notice clock is stopped at 5.0 seconds. As soon as White player catches ball the clock starts. White goes down and releases 3-pointer within last 1.0 seconds that goes in after buzzer sounds. Blue's coach is livid b/c he saw clock stop (my partner did not notice clock). We let 3-pointer stand, White wins by a point. I haven't look at rulebook yet. I did not have definite knowledge of how long clock was stopped. Even if I did have knowlege would I have any remedy for the situation? side-notes that have no bearing on situation other than the emotion of the game: quarter-final, loser goes home, 2 out-of-town teams, 5-OT (1st 3min, all other OT periods 1min)
If you have definite knowledge of the clock status, of course you can tell your partner. This is something that you should talk about when the game comes to the end or in your pre-game with your partner.

Peace