View Single Post
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Nit-Picky question on uniforms

I have a question on FED rule 3.2.2 - (in part) ....number must be of solid color contrasting with the color of shirt. ....numbers may have a contrasting color border, which shall not exceed 1/4 inch. Okay, so at a varsity tournament in Michigan, one team had white numbers with a black drop-shadow effect (black did not go all the way around), and the black part was easily 3/4 inch wide. Another team had numbers that were sort of a striped effect... three side-by-side 1/4" white stripes that alternated with 1/4" stripes of the dark underlying uniform's color. Both of these uniforms were very typical softball uniform styles that the schools obviously paid well for.

My question: what is the point of the rule? I can understand the legibility factor, but the above stated examples would not cause anybody any trouble in that respect. According to the rule, a team could probably use Roman numerals, or multi-digit numbers in a really skinny font that would fit across the back of the shirt. Now that would be confusing! (and the kids would look like inmates) Even the penalty for such infractions doesn't really seem like a penalty...(refer the infraction to the state association)...unless you figure the cost to replace the uniforms.