View Single Post
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

PU/BU Communication on balk call

MS Baseball, I'm on the bases. The feel of a storm moving in is in the air. Runners at 2nd and 3rd. Pitcher assumes windup position, hands together. I am looking at pitcher, not toward home plate. I then see pitcher go from windup to set w/o foot coming off rubber. Momentary pause and pitcher steps off rubber. I look toward plate and PU is out of crouch, standing looking at sky as if looking for lightening. I yell "time," ask if PU had called time out, he says no, I say "that was a balk," i.e., windup to set move. R3 scores on balk, tying the game, 1 inning later (7th) game called because of rain, ends in a tie.

My mentor tells me that at some point when I wasn't looking toward plate, PU must have come out of crouch and F1 then went from w/u to set, thus PU instigated the balk and it should have been waived.

However PU said nothing beyond answering answering my question about not calling time out. Did I ask the wrong question? Should he have said something to absolve F1 of the responsibility for the balk.