View Single Post
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
BTW, why aren't you going to call that violation when the ball is thrown the length of the floor? What governs when you call the violation and when you don't. "I got to 5 but the pass was almost to half court, so I didn't call it." I got to 5 but the pass was to the FT lane, so I didn't call it." Sorry but that makes no sense. You are calling the play by our rule, even though you advocate your own. So why not make the call if your rule is so much better?
I see what you are saying, but let me try to explain what I meant - if I get to halfway through my count of the fifth second and the player has released the ball and it is in mid flight, about to be caught, then I'm not going to blow the whistle.

It's similar to the 3 second call. The count stops when a shot is released - so if a player has been in the key for 2.999 seconds and his team-mate is in the process of shooting a layup, but hasn't actually released the ball...is any referee actually going to blow the 3 seconds? I don't think so.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee