View Single Post
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

We can add poor or even nonexistent mechanics in with sloppy dress. Far too many umpires simply pay no attention whatsoever to where they should position themselves, how they should announce calls, etc. Last year, in a large annual FP tournament (90+ teams) run by one of our members, I saw a BU never leave the A position once, even to call a play. Bases loaded? Start in the A position and stay there as the play unfolds. I also saw a PU with no hat, improvised Wal-Mart shirt and pants, sneakers, and a towel for a plate brush. (Equipment on the outside, of course.) He was calling balls and strikes from about 8 feet behind the catcher, almost against the backstop, helpfully announcing, "A little high, also a few inches outside," "Inside corner, strike two" "Bring it up a little," and so on.

Unfortunately, umpires are in very short supply, at least around here. If the director insisted on proper dress, he couldn't cover the games, even at $45.

There's a guy who has been doing varsity HS around here for 20 years, and he still bails out on every pitch (though over the years he has learned to disguise his bailout a bit).

One thing I like about doing college FP is that every single guy I work with cares about dress, mechanics, and decorum.